4.06.2010

My Favorite Book.

Eat Pray Love
written by Elizabeth Gilbert

This is the book that has brought the love of reading back into my life. I devoured it and when I was through, brought it up in conversation for weeks. Above all, I love the way that Elizabeth Gilbert writes. She has the ability to describe her experience with such beauty. She makes it easy to relate, with her genuine voice and witty humor. When the book ends you feel you've gained a friend and renewed your spiritual being. Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book and a few pics I found online:

  • "There is so much about my fate that I cannot control, but other things do fall under the jurisdiction. I can decide how I spend my time, whom I interact with, whom I share my body and life and money and energy with. I can select what I can read and eat and study. I can choose how I'm going to regard unfortunate circumstances in my life-whether I will see them as curses or opportunities. I can choose my words and the tone of voice in which I speak to others. And most of all, I can choose my thoughts."
  • "I want God to play in my bloodstream the way sunlight amuses itself on the water."
  • "You are, after all, what you think. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions."
  • "I’m here. I love you. I don’t care if you need to stay up crying all night long, I will stay with you. There’s nothing you can ever do to lose my love. I will protect you until you die, and after your death I will still protect you. I am stronger than Depression and I am braver than Loneliness and nothing will ever exhaust me."
  • "To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow - this is a human offering that can border on miraculous."
  • "I think you have every right to cherry-pick when it comes to moving your spirit and finding peace in God. You take whatever works from wherever you can find it, and you keep moving toward the light. "
  • "Om Namah Shivaya, meaning,
    I honor the divinity that resides within me.
AND... the MOVIE is coming out in theaters August 13th!!! I'm so excited that I will probably dress "Gilbertish" like the crazy Twilight and Harry Potter fans do. Julia Roberts plays the leading role in the movie. I think she is the perfect fit for the role! Get excited, it's going to be good. {click here to view the trailer}


Recently I've been reading "Committed," which is Gilbert's first book since Eat Pray Love. It has been a different kind of read, tackling marriage (to Felipe) from all different angles. So far, I'm enjoying it and feel I'm gaining all sorts of knowledge. If you're interested you should pick it up!
enjoy!
-Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment