4.28.2010

Sketchbook Campaign.

I love making art. And the best thing for an artist to do, is keep a sketchbook. Though my sketchbook is lacking volume these days, there was a time when I raced to finish one and move on to the next! A sketchbook is limitless and knows no rules. I put everything in it...
magazine clippings, thumbnail sketches, yarn, candy wrappers, tracing paper, carbon paper, etc., etc... If it inspired me, it made it to the sketchbook. Give me a stapler.

{ love your sketchbook }

My sketchbook's main function was a place to plan and organize a project. In high school, I took every art class that was offered... and the nerd that I was, became president of National Art Honors Society. Oh, man. I really didn't do much, it just looked good on paper.. then college came, where the majority of my freshman and sophomore years were spent in the brand new Art building. {hours and hours were spent there}. Art at the college level was amazing. I loved how hardcore it was.. and the nervous/exciting feeling of a critique. I began college as an Art Education major, and though I ended up getting my degree in Elementary Education, I still had enough art credits to snag a minor.

So, here I am today, no projects to plan ~ no deadlines to meet ~ no teacher to impress... and a near empty sketchbook. What is wrong with this picture? A lot. I've always known that I wouldn't be able to shake this art thing that I love so much. I'm pretty sure it's with me till the end. However, I am horrible at picking an avenue to channel my artistic nature. I love it all and I want to do it all... which is near impossible {but i still have my fingers crossed}. So until I figure it out, I'm challenging myself to love my sketchbook a little more. It is my hope to add new inspiration once a week. Heck, I get inspired 20 times a day, so this should be easy.

...and I did say near empty... I have a few doodles in there. One that I'd like to share, as I kick off my sketchbook campaign. It's a work in progress that I started a few months ago. It was
my original idea to turn this old mailbox into a watercolor painting. However, before tackling the painting head on, I figured it best to study up on this rustyold metal treasure. The birth of this drawing emerged.
I hope you like.

{ still have a ways to go }

Create your own beautiful,
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment